Friday, October 17, 2008

Humbled

This week I (Rocio) went to Cadea after not going for a week or two.  People on our team had been sick so we didn't go for two weeks.  This week I was really tired and didn't really want to go, but thank goodness for Todd and his reminding me how much I truly love my ministry there.  It's true that if I had to pick a favorite Cadea would probably be the one.  It's the ministry that struck me the most during my first trip and what really made me want to come back trip after trip.

Cadea is a really interesting place.  It's a state-run institution for "kids" (young adults 18 and over) who have been institutionalized all their lives and are unable to live under any other circumstances.  Most of these individuals were born normal, but due to being institutionalized all their lives they have the mentality of a 10-14 year old.  Heartbreaking, I know.  Yet in this dark and sad place I find so much love and joy it overwhelms me at times.

It's been really neat working there since we have moved here.  The kids are really starting to open up to me and I am truly able to start disciplining.    I think they feel as if they can let their guard down now since I will stick around for a while.  During past trips there has been a girl, Liu, who never really gave me the time of day.  In fact, if I tried to make an effort she would push me away or ignore me.  Lately, however, things are very different.  It seems she has become attached at the hip.  She loves to tell me about her day and wants me to just be around her.  I am so thrilled!  She is one of the higher level ones and it's great to finally be able to talk to her about the Lord.  During the last few weeks I have noticed a change in her prayer.  When we pray as a group her prayers usually consisted of things she wanted/needed.  Lately, most of her prayer has been of thanksgiving and just glorifying Him for who He is.  So awesome!  

This week when she came to greet me she looked so sad.  I immediately asked her what was wrong.  She told me she had a picture of the two of us posted next to her bed since last December.  She loves the picture and is so proud to have it.  However, this past week one of the other kids during a fit ripped down everything from the walls including her picture.  She was in tears when she told me.  She kept telling me how happy that picture made her since it reminded her someone loved her.  Oh, when she said that my heart broke!  How humbling is it to know that my simply being there brings her hope and love!  In that moment God confirmed once again the importance of our coming to Romania and loving on these precious children.  It humbles me how He can use us in the simplest ways.    

No comments: